Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Uul Haanstra uh at bsiao.UUCP
Thu Sep 25 23:10:17 AEST 1986

> For example, I was told of a paper a while back done within Bell Labs
> (probably late 70's) where they brought in some outside researchers to
> measure some things about UNIX and some of the editors. If I remember
> right they gathered a few different experience groups and plotted
> Does anyone know of the whereabouts of this report? Similar things
> they could recommend? It certainly doesn't have to be UNIX, just stuff
> like O/A.

I have seen such an article in the Communications of the ACM, in the
first quarter of 1985. I'm not sure as to which issue, since they
don't have the C of the ACM where I work now.

The conclusion was, I believe, that some differences could be
measured between systems with meaningful commands, and those without.
The ones with counterintuitive commands were especially bad. Best
were those with several synonyms: one could pick one's favorite
command