setenv problem in C-shell (and "tset")

Scott R. Anderson mrl at oddjob.UUCP
Sun Sep 14 23:15:13 AEST 1986

In article <1446 at tektools.UUCP> jerryp at tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) writes:
>In article <1427 at tektools.UUCP>, net.unix-wizards, I followed up to a
>followup article about "tset":
>> In article <3454 at brl-smoke.ARPA> DU>@brl-smoke.ARPA writes:
>> > set noglob; eval `tset ... `
>> Not just that!  Don't forget to do "unset noglob" -- otherwise, the shell
>> won't expand filename wildcard characters afterwards.  Do this:
>> 	set noglob; eval `tset ...`; unset noglob
>Since then, I've noticed that under 4.3BSD and C-shell, "tset" outputs
>both the "set noglob" and "unset noglob" commands automatically.

This is also true of the 4.2 systems around here; unfortunately, that
first "set noglob" doesn't do you any good, as any globbing on `tset ...`
occurs before eval gets to it.  The command "echo `tset ...`" shows you
the arguments that eval actually sees, and they probably aren't what you
want, unless globbing has been turned off.

So, it looks like the mininum we can get away with is

--

*
  *       *                                   Scott Anderson