regexp(3) - a request for a clear explanation

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Mon Sep 1 08:07:58 AEST 1986

> > I've poured myself over ny manual and looked at regcmp(1), regcmp(3), and
> > regexp(3), and I'm still not sure how to use these functions.  ...

Note, BTW, that this form of regular expression parser is NOT in the System
V Interface Definition, at least in Issue 2 (Issue 1 describes it, but that
was an error).  The package described in REGEXP(5) is the one in the SVID,
and is the one you should be using.  It is, for example, the package used by
"ed" and "grep"; the only System V software using REGCMP(3) is REGCMP(1).
Not all SVID-compatible systems will have REGCMP(1), REGCMP(3), or
REGEXP(3); they all will have REGEXP(5).

If you only System III, it will be found in REGEXP(7) rather than REGEXP(5).
Other system may place it elsewhere (we don't supply the old "regexp"
package, so we put it in REGEXP(3), along with all the other library
packages).
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)