Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Steve Minneman stevem at fai.UUCP
Tue Sep 16 04:26:43 AEST 1986

>>In article <344 at fai.UUCP>, I wrote:
>> I agree with Paul in every respect, except for buying a PC for everyone.
>> It's tough if not impossible to teach many people who want to only edit
>> documents how to use an editor, a text formatter, and all the system
>> commands.  However, this is no reason to run the extra expense of buying all
>> those PCs -- there are some excellent "word-processing" packages such as
>> LEX-11 available under both UNIX and VMS for machines such as VAXEN.  If you
>> put your word-processing software on the VAX (or similar machine) you can
>> teach casual users of this software how to access it with mimimal
>> interaction with other commands and the operating system and yet allow them
>> access to the additional power of the larger machine when and if they so
>> desire to learn and use it.
>> ---
>In article <575 at ih1ap.UUCP> sja at ih1ap.UUCP (Steve Alesch) writes:
>
>Come on, get serious!!!  Your [sic] suggesting a 3 secretary law office needs
>a $300,000 system!!!
>--

Read what I wrote again.  Point one is that you can get a Vax for under
$30,000.  There is no reason to pay $300,000.  The second point is that I
didn't say go out and buy a Vax.  I said don't go out and buy a PC for
everyone.  If you have a mini that will serve the same purpose as buying
numerous PCs and that mini has excess capacity, use it.  If you want to go
out and spend $300,000 for a mid-range Vax that will serve 40 to 50 users
for the sole use of 3 people, that's up to you; but, I sure wouldn't.

--
---

		Steven A. Minneman (Fujitsu America Inc, San Jose, Ca)
		!seismo!amdahl!fai!stevem  or !ihnp4!pesnta!fai!stevem

The best government is no government at all.