Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

John d Woolverton jdw at tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu
Tue Sep 9 13:04:39 AEST 1986

In article <1246 at kitty.UUCP> larry at kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	On occasion I get asked for my opinion on computer systems for small
>business applications.  Since 100% of my computer applications are scientific
>in nature (which is pretty far afield from business applications), I try to
>avoid giving business applications advice (except to go UNIX :-) ).  However,
>sometimes I cannot avoid getting involved...
>	In addition to programming, I do an extensive amount of document
>preparation.  On UNIX systems I use ``vi'' _exclusively_ for document editing,
>and use nroff and troff for formatting when required.  If I am using a letter
>quality printer with justification capability, often I will imbed justification
>commands and other printer commands in the text file and not use nroff or troff.
>	So my question is: Am I WRONG in advising people to stay with ``vi''
>and not spend money for "word-processing software" in the BUSINESS APPLICATION
>environment?

I have done both micro-based word processing and UN*X editing and find both
have their advantages.  When I first came here, I needed to be able to do
word processing SOON so I powered up the Compaq entered Microsoft Word and
started playing.  Getting started was easy and it worked with various printers
from my slow daisy wheel to the Laserwriter.  It had a lot of other nice features
in terms of formatting and such and the results were displayed on the screen.

Later someone introduced me to TeX in UN*X.  This meant getting used to the os,
csh, vi (yes this is a handy and easy word processor), and TeX.  This was a
difficult task but worth the power of TeX.  TeX now runs on IBM's and so does
VI.  So I don't know if I would recommend a unix system to a business.

  jdw at tybalt / woolstar at csvax.caltech.edu