Problems with troff output on a SUN Laserwriter

John R. Nicol john at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Thu Sep 18 20:08:00 AEST 1986

I've prepared my Ph.D. thesis using troff and its me macro package. However,
I've run into problems in printing the formatted document on the SUN
laser-writer. I need a 1.5 inch left margin. But.... when I set the page
offset (.po) to 1.5i, troff goes bananas complaining that:

"Page offset + Line Length exceeds the width of the paper"

The resulting laser-written output is garbled too. Strange thing is the above
message is garbage: my line length (.ll) is 5.75i and I'm using standard British
A4 size paper.

Apparently SUN know that troffing stuff with me intended for output on their
laser-writer is bug prone. This is no comfort to me! Has any bright spark
worked out a convenient way to get round this problem? Serious suggestions
are most welcome.

					John

"I'm desparate, Dan" (from "The Boys from the Black Stuff")
--
Segmentation fault (core dumped)...
------