Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Edward Vielmetti emv at umix.UUCP
Sat Sep 13 08:19:30 AEST 1986

We've all heard what this is about, so I won't quote anyone.

A lot of the choice of which word-processor to use depends on the
sort of tasks that are going on.  An appropriate first level of
analysis would look at what sort of stuff you want to send out;
for instance:
	short memos don't need TeX;
	heavily graphic-oriented stuff might deserve a Macintosh;
	boilerplate legal text generates special demands.
This is enough for me to keep around several sorts of tools for
writing, hopefully to let me choose the right tool for the job.

Here's some likely to be useful combinations: TeX and MacWrite for
a person doing both short technical correspondence and more
intricate stuff (an Econ prof at U-M); PC-Outline and a wordstar-like
editor for me, depending on my mood; VEDIT and PC-Outline for
regular editing and semi-programming (vedit) plus bureaucratic,
boilerplate text (pco).

Design word processing choices with interconnectivity in mind,
but if you can accomodate multiple options do it.

Edward Vielmetti, CC Microgroup, U of Michigan, ihnp4!umich!umix!emv