Use of ``vi'' for business office word-processing

Brian Fenske brian at ssc-vax.UUCP
Wed Sep 10 02:47:05 AEST 1986

         And in article <709 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> Paul replies:
> Yes, I think you're wrong.  Secretaries don't have time, nor do they usually
> want to learn something like Unix.  They will prefer EVERY TIME something
> which works as similarly as possible to their typewriter.
.......What they want is simplicity, reliability, and the minimum of hassle.

> I personally would suggest getting each person an IBM-PC compatible type of
> machine.  There's a million and one different word processors for it, and
> some are extremely nice to use, definitely with the comuter-illiterate in
> mind.  They ACT like typewriters, but the secretary CAN at his/her pace learn
> to use mail merge, sorts, search/replace, type of features later.
>
> P.S - remember, even if they get PC's they can still network, share
> hard disks, printers, etc.  True they won't have electronic mail, but I
> personally think Unix has a long way to go before it will really be
> palatable in the normal business environment.  Don't get me wrong though,
> *I* LOVE Unix.

Why make the poor secretaries learn MS-DOS?  A network of Macintoshes
can provide all of the office needs you mentioned, Paul, and they can
have electronic mail to boot (InBox from Think Technologies).  My
secretary was about as computer-illiterate as you can get but she
picked up her new Mac and was blasting out memos and spreadsheets and
using Email in a day or two.

BTW, don't get me wrong either.  I also love Unix.

I have no affiliation with Apple or Think Technologies (and
certainly not with IBM :-))

Brian Fenske                           Boeing Aerospace Company
UUCP: uw-beaver!ssc-vax!brian          Seattle, Washington