Networking Help (Macs to unix server)

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Sun Aug 13 16:09:55 AEST 1989

In <12378 at altos86.Altos.COM> hikhar at nynexst.com asked questions regarding
the use of unix machines to service Macintoshes over ethernet.  My mail
to him bounced, so I am posting this.

-------------------------------
Please send me a summary of what you learn.  In particular,

(1) As you mention: is the bridge necessary for CAP?  Or can you plug
    ethernet cards into the macs (or one of the SCSI Ethernet Boxes).

(2) Is TOPS yet available for unix platforms other than SUNs?

(3) CAP was originally written for BSD 4.3.  Has anyone ported it to SysV?

(4) An alternative is Portable Netware from Novell, which will be out late
    this year.  Have you heard anything about this?

(5) I have a number for Information Presentation Technologies (IPT), the
    makers of uShare.  1-818-347-7791.  I haven't called them, as I am not
    ready to proceed yet.

Good luck, and thanks in advance
Dan
----
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Capital Investments
uunet!fciva!dag				7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102