AIX vs System V

Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl abcscnge at csuna.csun.edu
Mon Jun 12 17:26:56 AEST 1989

In article <1100 at altos86.UUCP> jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye sys adm) writes:
>IBM is wasting their time. System V is so far advanced and accepted that
>IBM has no chance of catching up. Unless AIX has some very advanced and
>useful features, it's a waste of everybody's time.

I disagree.  AIX is the basis of OSF/1 (Andy Rooney -- Didja ever notice
how companies are all calling their products "slash-something"? :-).  This
in itself gives AIX a big step toward catching up.  Whether or not this was
done to ensure IBM remaining in OSF is a moot point.  It is done.  My guess
is that IBM will stop new releases of AIX and replace with OSF/1 releases.
Of course, I am only an "end user", so I have no say in these matters!

OS/2 -- Just Say No!!!!

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge