UNIX vs. VMS: Advantages and Disadvantages

Matthias Pfuetzner pfuetzner at zgdvda.UUCP
Fri May 12 04:41:12 AEST 1989

Hi UNIX-fans and VMS-fans!

A couple of days ago a friend of mine and me, we started discussing
the advantages and disadvantages of DEC's VMS and UNIX. We devided
the discussion into several points:
a.) Problems for new users to start and understand these OSes.
b.) Utilities for programmers (editors, system-calls, etc.).

So here are some of the questions we tried to answer:
Where is the help-facility better (VMS: Help, UNIX:man), (under Unix
   there are most of all no good examples given to the commands)?
Under Unix there are the mnemonics worse than under VMS (vi for VIsual
   edit, edit under VMS, but set default for changing directories under
   VMS and cd under Unix).
Networking facilities (set host under VMS, rsh, telnet etc. under Unix
   bsd4.2)

But nevertheless there are similarities (fileprotection startegy is
   similar (system, owner, group, world)

So, if you feel you should add some points that are better under VMS
than under Unix, add them.
If you feel there are points that are better under Unix add them too.

We both would be very happy to get as much response as possible. So if
you want to tell us about your favorable OS and why you love it tell it!
Hoping to get much response,
   Matthias Pfuetzner
   Till Immanuel Patzschke

UUCP:    pfuetzner at zgdvda.uucp            ...!mcvax!unido!zgdvda!pfuetzner