Backing up ...

Steven V. Christensen schriste at uceng.UC.EDU
Fri Oct 27 14:46:08 AEST 1989

Greetings,
	I am a EE student and was hired by the ChemE department to run their
network (=4 computers) of Suns and Vaxen (ultrix). Among the things which I
will be doing will be backups of  the data they produce (someone "heard" that
backups are a good thing). My question to this vast collection of experience
is:
	1) I am familiar with the unix "dump" command. Is there a better
		way? We will use the cartridge tapes standard for Suns.
	2) How often should backups be done? There will be some moderate
		programming at first, and then some data operating later.
	3) What combination of full and incremental backups are the
		norm for unix systems?

You can post the responses, or email me at schriste at uceng.uc.edu, and I
will post a followup later.

	Thanks,