System to handle billing of UNIX users for cpu/disk/et al

David C. Kovar kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 8 08:52:36 AEST 1989

I'm responsible for a pair of VAX 8200's and a growing host of Sun
workstations. Unfortunately, I need to charge people for connect time,
cpu minutes, disk space, and the like. We have a home brew system that
lacks documenation, clarity, and some of the source code. We'd like to
replace it with a package that meets the following expectations:

  1) Can handle variable rates per user or per shift.
  2) Can enforce user quotas and disable accounts when quotas are exceeded.
  3) Has flexible report generation.
  4) Can handle multiple machines linked by NFS.
  5) Is well documented and comes with good customer support.
  6) Does not require kernel modification.

If you know of any systems that come close to this, have advice (pro or
con) on a specific system, or can even give me a vague pointer to such
a beast I would be most grateful.
-David C. Kovar
	Technical Consultant			ARPA: kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
	Office of Information Technology	BITNET: corwin at harvarda.bitnet
	Harvard University			MacNET: DKovar
						Ma Bell: 617-732-1778

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."