Does anyone have a tar or cpio that will use remote devices?

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Fri Feb 23 14:29:35 AEST 1990

In article <3535 at zorba.Tynan.COM> mvadh at cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay,54242,wi,1d007,508 374 5484) writes:
>just a note -- sV RFS allows one to remote-mount the entire /dev directory...

What happens if the kernels are different?  Is there any protection
against, say, /dev/lp having world read/write and major/minor numbers
corresponding to /dev/mem?   Presumably one would not do this intentionally
but it strikes me as a likely kind of thing to happen as configurations
drift over time.

Is there a mechanism to protect against this sort of thing or is it
a matter of policy?
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"If the conjecture `You would rather I had not disturbed you