How to 'ftp' automatically???

Steve Mabbs steve at mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Sat Jul 14 06:55:09 AEST 1990

In article <3644 at zorba.Tynan.COM> Chris Davies <uunet!relay.EU.net!vision!chris> writes:
>In article <3587 at zorba.Tynan.COM> jimli at milton.u.washington.edu (Jimmy Li) writes:
>>Everytime I login on my school Unix machine, I need to ftp several files to
>>my accounts on another machine. It gets pretty tedious typing in username,
>>passwood, and so on over and over again.
>
>Why not use "rcp" (Remote CoPy)?  If you've got ftp then you've probably got
>this.

You could also try rdist(1).  Create a file called 'distfile' in your home
directory that looks like:

% cat distfile
distfiles = (~/file1 ~/src/file2 ~/bin/file3.sh)

(${distfiles}) -> chris at machine_b
(${distfiles}) -> chris at machine_c
%

and just type 'rdist'.  If rdist is present on the other machine, then
this should work OK.  As Jimmy says, you should also create a .rhosts file
on machine_b and machine_c.

Note: you can specify another distfile using the -f option (e.g. I use
'.rdist' to keep it hidden).  Then just put 'rdist -f .rdist' in your .login
and it should all happen automatically.  rdist has been designed to maintain
identical copies of multiple files/dirs across many machines.  See the manual
page for more info.

	Regards,

	Steve

Stephen A. Mabbs, Dept of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Melbourne		Phone:	office    (room 3.10): +61 3 344 6714
PARKVILLE VIC 3052			vlsi lab  (room 3.16): +61 3 344 7436
AUSTRALIA			Fax: +61 3 344 6678
	"Well, I never!".  "Well, maybe that's your problem, lady".