Norton Utilities Under UNIX 386?

Richard Strebendt res at ihlpb.att.com
Sat Jul 14 07:04:25 AEST 1990

In article <3642 at zorba.Tynan.COM>, e89hse at rigel.efd.lth.se writes:
> In article <3580 at zorba.Tynan.COM>, jtc at van-bc.UUCP (J.T. Conklin) writes:
> >In article <3566 at zorba.Tynan.COM> uunet!esegue.segue.boston.ma.us!johnl (John R. Levine) writes:
> >>We are indeed porting the Norton Utilities, though reimplementing turns out
> >>to be a better word -- undeleting files under Unix is handled completely
> >>differently that it was under DOS, for example.
> >Why even try?
>  I don't think there is any general method one can use to "undelete" files in
> UNIX,

On the AT&T 3B1 under the "User Agent" this is handled quite
reasonably.  Each login has a "Wastebasket" directory in the login
directory.  When a file is "deleted" it is moved to the Wastebasket.
A cron job periodically goes around and "empties" the Wastebaskets.
Until then, a file that needs to be recovered can be moved back out of
the Wastebasket.

This could probably be done in standard UNIX by either modifying the
rm command or defining a new "delete" command that moved files and/or
directories into the $HOME/Wastebasket directory.

					Rich Strebendt
					ihlpb!res