Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly.UUCP
Thu Nov 15 09:44:00 AEST 1990

>The Free Software Foundation's make program includes
>support for RCS, so you can have automatic check out
>if you want to.

Last time I looked, GNU make didn't support SCCS however.  Specifically,
GNU make doesn't handle the ~-hack in the SUFFIX rules for identifying
SCCS files.  If one has many makefiles which are designed to handle SCCS
files, there is strong incentive to not use GNU make.

On the other hand, if one uses a ``standard'' make, there is no support
for a ',' as a delimiter for suffixes, so it's rather difficult to
automate use of RCS.

The result: migration from one system to the other, or use of both SCCS
and RCS can be difficult.

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM