Need help on a Unix utility to format text.

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at hombre.masa.com
Sat Oct 27 02:53:43 AEST 1990

In article <2221 at megadon.UUCP> maxc1222 at ucselx.sdsu.edu (Generic Account 1222) writes:
>I need some help!! I'm am looking for a Unix utility that will get
>standard input and format it to 72 columns max. I looked at 'fmt'
>and it was putting the word which fell on the 72nd column on the
>following line.  I need something which will break any word
>at the 72nd column regardless.

Cheap and dirty approach:

Try running nroff on your input. Without any macros defined at all, it seems to
default to right-justified 72 column text.

Two consecutive line-feeds in the input tell it to start a new paragraph.
It also will issue line-feeds to come to some multiple of 66 lines.
--

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr at jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341