curses standout()

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Oct 10 08:23:21 AEST 1990

In article <3647 at zorba.Tynan.COM> exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
> The clue is that on a TVI9xxa the 'inverse video' and 'end inverse'
> (termcap 'so' and 'se') eat a character position.

Sometimes. You can turn that off, but it still treats standout weirdly.
I think you can handle that by telling curses not to move while in
standout mode. It's a pain.

If we didn't have some 400 of the things floating around, I'd probably be
advocating a mass boycott of Televideo terminals. Maybe we could all get
together and hols a mass rally... burn the damned monstrosities or something.

Anyway, try putting your terminal into "attribute nospace" mode, take out
the "xm" flag, and add "xs". You should already have "ms" disabled.

The following advice probably works better:

> One possibility is to use some other (non-space-eating) mode, by
> changing sg to 0 and so/se to point to strings which will put you
> into/out of the mode.  Half-bright works OK on TVIs.  Except it may be
> invisible if the terminal contrast is set wrong.

Note that this means you use the foreground/background or protected/unprotected
attribute to change the mode.

What I do is make write-protect the normal mode. Here's my Zentech Zephyr
variant:

#
# Intel NRM terminals ... Zentec Zephyr in reverse write-protect.
#
zw|weird:\
	:am:bs:cm=\E=%+ %+ :cl=1^Z\E):co#80:ho=^^:li#24:ma=^K^P:nd=^L:up=^K:\
	:im=\Eq\E):ei=\Er\E):al=\EE\E):dl=\ER\E):cd=\EY:dc=\EW\E):\
	:xt:so=\E(:se=\E):vs=\E):ce=\ET:is=\E):

The ultimate solution is violent defenestration of the offending terminals.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.