SVR4 - What is available?

Tony Rems rembo at unisoft.com
Sat Oct 13 18:36:37 AEST 1990

In article <2150 at megadon.UUCP> you write:
>will be soon.  Company names and addresses, the hardware it runs
>on, and the state of the software (Beta, production, whatever).
>Guesses at dates of upcoming releases.  I am also interested
>in any opinions people using SVR4 systems have about SVR4.
>
>Please email me info and I'll post a summary to the net if people
>express interest.
>
>--
>Leonard Cuff                 if ( my_words == Rockwells_words )
>lcuff at cmc.com                         hell_freezes_over = now;
>
>"I feel like a fugitive from th' law of averages" - Bill Mauldin

Well, here at Unisoft, we port SVR4 and we do POSIX and ABI standards
for it.  I have used and hacked the SVR4 system quite extensively
and I have mixed feelings about it.  I think they have done just
about everything, however I think it may be to much.  It's almost
inconceivable that anyone could ever know all of it.  It's a massive
unwieldy beast.  However, it is nice to have the ability to use
whatever filesystem you like.  Also, it's nice to be able to choose
between sockets and TLI/Streams.  One of the drawbacks though is
a *huge* kernel.  I'ts a real dog on 5 Mg of RAM which makes life
tough for people with PC's or small workstations.  At least it appears
that all the SVR4 people are attempting to conform to the UI/ABI
POSIX standards so that a consistent interface will be easy to
find.

If you have any more specific questions, drop me a line.

-Tony