Developers Can Target One Unix

Miles ONeal meo at rsiatl.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 08:22:30 AEST 1990

perand at admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
|>I read an article in one of the trade news magazines that stated that
|>OSF and Unix International had decided on different emphasis in their
|>system's development.  Supposedly, OSF was going to remove features in
|>favor of speed.
|Is this true ? I wonder. My understanding is that OSF, as is one of the
|basics in MACH will remove as much as possible from the KERNEL. Not from
|the end product. Stuff that's really not need to be there will be in
|threads outside of the kernel. AT&T has some trend where they stuff
|everything in the kernel it seems. Why, one day we might even have 'vi'
|in there :-)

Correct. The OSF (and many of us) feel that the kernel has become too
bloated. While the days of kernels that fit in 8-16K of memory may be
long gone, 500K - 1M kernels are a bit much!

As to vi being in the kernel, it would probably end up in the tty
driver. If not, it might be the only entry in /usr/bin! Oh, well,
we all know that's what happens when big corporations (or smaller
ones, even) take products from the R&D folks & give them to mark-
eting!

-Miles

please note how nicely each paragraph adjusted itself!