Disappearing shelltools

Ferry de Jong ferry at chorus.fr
Wed Oct 10 13:54:51 AEST 1990

Environment: SUN SPARC station SLC   sunview   shelltool with ksh

When I was mistyping the RETURN key ones more today I noticed the following
strange thing happen.

I typed:echo "Hello world"` RETURN
                          ^
Notice the backquote I hit instead of the RETURN key. This caused the PS2
prompt to appear. I typed another ` RETURN to get rid of it and as a small
BONUS for this action the complete ksh including the shelltool vanished
in the eternal fields of never-to-be-recovered-SUNVIEW. So just one window
less on my screen.

The next time I started a shelltool (ksh) I started an extra ksh. (By typing
ksh) I tried the same scenario and what happened?!? Memory fault-core dumped

Is there somebody who can explain this behavior of the ksh (or shelltool) and
give me a remedy. I would like to hear this because I am a terrible bad
typer (typist or whatever) and it happens to often.

(  _)(  _)(  ,) (  ,)( \/ ) | Writing software takes twice as long
 ) _) ) _) )  \  )  \ \  /  |         as you expect it to take...
(_)  (___)(_)\_)(_)\_)(_/   |     Even if you keep this in mind!
e-mail: ferry at chorus.fr