Windowing software/hardware

usenet at cuae2.UUCP usenet at cuae2.UUCP
Tue Dec 23 05:32:58 AEST 1986

Here are a couple of responses to the Windowing question.  Again, please
remember to reply to the orignator, not to the moderator!  Thanks.  Ron.

----------

From: <mit-athena!yba at TRILLIAN.ARPA>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 86 21:09:39 EST

I believe that the X Window System has been ported to HP-UX by HP,
although on what workstation displays I could not say.

----------

Date: 17 Dec 86 19:41:52 CST (Wed)
From: codas!mtune!mtuxo!houxm!ho95e!wcs

One good windowing environment (for graphics as wel as text) is the
AT&T "Blit" environment, with the DMD 5620 terminal and layers multiplexing
software.  The 5620 is a large-screen expensive terminal, but we've just
announced a couple of smaller cheap terminals, the 615 and 620.
You get 6 windows, and a pseudo-tty environment where all the windows can be
active at once.  (Your keyboard belongs to one window at a time, but all the
windows get updated.)  Overlap gets handled automagically.
The 5620 (powered by an AT&T 32100 CPU) and the 620 (Z80? 8086?) are bit-mapped
graphics terminals; the 615 is character-mapped and gives you 3 windows.

# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs