Storage allocators

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Aug 15 05:15:38 AEST 1985

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 85 11:38:32 edt
From: seismo!allegra!phri!roy (Roy Smith)
To: ut-sally!std-unix
Subject: Storage allocation
Cc: roy

	I'm not sure if it is really germane to the issue at hand, but I
recently (yesterday) submitted to mod.sources a little package to handle
run time memory allocation for multi-dimensional arrays.  You might want to
take a look at it.

	Is it reasonable to include such a functionality in a Unix
standard?  I don't know if memory allocators should be considered part of
the C language, or part of the Unix OS, but given the fuss that went on
recently (in net.unix-wizards?) about the issue, it seems that it should be
addressed somewhere.  Of course, my implementation isn't necessarily the
best one (or even a good one), but I think the idea is sound.

Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

Discussions-Of: UNIX standards, particularly the IEEE P1003 draft standard.
Submissions-To:	ut-sally!std-unix	or std-unix at ut-sally.ARPA
Comments-To: ut-sally!std-unix-request	or std-unix-request at ut-sally.ARPA
UUCP-Routes: {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!std-unix
Archives-In: ~ftp/pub/mod.std.unix on ut-sally.ARPA (soon sally.UTEXAS.EDU)