Storage allocators

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Fri Aug 2 06:46:03 AEST 1985

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 85 13:14:10 edt
From: Arnold Robbins <gatech!arnold>
Subject: Storage allocators
To: cbosgd!std-c, ut-sally!std-unix

Unix has long had an undocumented routine alloca(), which allocates
storage off the stack.  This storage then goes away when the function
returns.

I would like to see this documented in the Unix standard under development,
and also included in the new ANSI C standard.  I would suggest that
the name get changed to something like salloc() [stack alloc], with
semantics similar to malloc (returned storage probably initialized to
garbage), only the storage is temporary, not permanent.

I think that cross posting to both groups is appropriate, since C supports
variables on the stack, so I doubt that there are many machines which can't
do alloca(), and for Unix, it comes down to documenting something that
has been there for a long time.

Discussions-Of: UNIX standards, particularly the IEEE P1003 draft standard.
Submissions-To:	ut-sally!std-unix	or std-unix at ut-sally.ARPA
Comments-To: ut-sally!std-unix-request	or std-unix-request at ut-sally.ARPA
UUCP-Routes: {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!std-unix
Archives-In: ~ftp/pub/mod.std.unix on ut-sally.ARPA (soon sally.UTEXAS.EDU)