command line arguments

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Wed Jul 3 05:56:12 AEST 1985

From: utastro!nather (Ed Nather)

>      Frank da Cruz's new C-Kermit adopts a set of command line argument
> standards that are worth looking at.
> [...]
> A group of bundled options may end with an option that has an argument.

This creates confusion in using C-Kermit when you want to send an image
file.  For example:

	send -is filename     < ---  works fine
        send -si filename     < ---  bombs the program

I personally find it hard to remember which is which, since they both seem
equally sensible to me.  I would *much* prefer to bundle the flags, then
have those with arguments pick them up in the same order as the flags are
listed.  In the above case, the "-i" flag doesn't take an argument, so I
think it should be processed but should not "shield" the "-s" flag from its
argument.

But what do I know?

Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
{allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!nather
nather%utastro.UTEXAS at ut-sally.ARPA

--

John Quarterman, jsq at ut-sally.ARPA, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq