a bit more on getopt

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Fri Jul 19 11:32:22 AEST 1985

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 85 20:29:59 EDT
From: Keith Bostic <seismo!keith>
To: /dev/null
Subject: Re: getopt(3) (again...)
Cc: pegasus!hansen, ut-sally!std-unix

> Actually, the recently posted rewrite by Rich Salz is closer to AT&T's code
> than is yours and his is more accurate.

You're right, I apologize.  I totally missed the USG use of opterr and have
updated my code appropriately.  I am currently trying to get 4.3 to use
the correct code.

> Actually this is important in some applications which do not already use
> stdio and do not wish to load in the 10k or so overhead that using stdio
> incurs. AT&T's code does not use stdio in getopt(3).

Not true.  The size difference between:

	main() { puts("foo"); }
and
	main() { write(0,"foo",3); }

is exactly zero.

> In fact, why go with yours or Rich's version at all and not use the
> public-domain version that AT&T published at January's Uni-Forum in Dallas?
> That would have gotten rid of all thought of incompatiblity!

Amen, I didn't know about it in January or I would have said something when
Berkeley asked to use mine.

--keith