curses, terminfo, and termcap

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Jul 18 00:02:14 AEST 1985

From: John Quarterman (moderator) <std-unix-request at ut-sally>
Topic: curses, terminfo, and termcap

From: harvard!panda!genrad!john (John P. Nelson)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 85 09:23:12 edt
To: panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!ut-sally!jsq
Subject: Re: curses, terminfo, and termcap

Please post this to mod.std.unix, since you have recommended that your
readership contact me directly.

  John P. Nelson (decvax!genrad!john) [moderator, mod.sources]

First, if you have access to any of the "standard" UNIX versions of curses,
you have got a better version than this one.  About the only thing that
recommends Pavel Curtis' version of curses is that it is public domain.
(Of course, that is pretty significant!) The terminfo implementation seems
to fairly solid, however.

For large distributions (such as the Pavel Curtis' terminfo/curses - 11 shar
format modules plus one more with updates) I try to discourage direct mailing
especially when the target site is several uucp hops away.  That generally
leaves two alternatives:  1. Send a tape in a self-addressed, stamped mailer.
I will put the distribution onto tape in tar, 1600 bpi format.  If you do
this, then make sure you include a note describing what you want put onto the
tape (Public Domain Terminfo/Curses package)  2.  I can send you the info for
our site's "sources" uucp login.  This uucp login is limited to transferring
to and from a single "sources" directory.  I am not making this login public
knowledge, because we cannot support any large level of traffic.

I am willing to entertain other suggestions.

John P. Nelson (decvax!genrad!john) [moderator, mod.sources]
GenRad   M.S. 96
37 Great Road
Bolton, MA 01740