standardized error messages

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Thu Jul 25 02:15:55 AEST 1985

From: John Quarterman (moderator) <std-unix-request at ut-sally>
Topic: Re: standardized error messages

From: oliveb!jerry at fortune.uucp (Jerry Aguirre)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 85 21:42:10 pdt
Subject: Re: standardized error messages

> From: Mike Trachtman  <wizard%wisdom.bitnet at WISCVM.ARPA>
> Is any thought being given to having the compilers, grep, etc.
> give error messages in a standard form, so
> that programs will be able to parse them.

The sys V announcment that I attended included discussion not only of
getopt but of an error library routine.

I don't have the syntax handy but it included the severity of the error
(warning vs. error vs. fatal), a user supplied message, and optionally
the errno determined system error message.

I have seen several postings of source which use a similar routine.
Does anyone at ATT care to comment on whether an error routine will be
included and what the syntax is?

				Jerry Aguirre @ Olivetti ATC
{hplabs|fortune|idi|ihnp4|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!jerry

Discussions-Of: UNIX standards, particularly the IEEE P1003 draft standard.
Submissions-To:	ut-sally!std-unix	or std-unix at ut-sally.ARPA
Comments-To: ut-sally!std-unix-request	or std-unix-request at ut-sally.ARPA
UUCP-Routes: {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!std-unix
Archives-In: ~ftp/pub/mod.std.unix on ut-sally.ARPA (soon sally.UTEXAS.EDU)