Case sensitive file names: what do other systems do

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Sun Nov 2 09:58:55 AEST 1986

From: nike!oliveb!3comvax!marcl (Marc Lavine at 3Com Corporation)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 86 21:34:05 PST

In article <6109 at ut-sally.UUCP> you write:
>From: seismo!mcvax!guido (Guido van Rossum)
>(BTW, I think Apple has also designed decent solutions to other
>internationalization issues -- their date and time notation, and probably
>that for currency also, can be adapted to any of the European countries
>in which they sell computers!)

In case you weren't aware, PC-DOS also has a mechanism for changing
the date and time display formats based on what country you are in.
You can set the country by using a statement such as country = 031
(for the Netherlands) in the config.sys file.  DOS will use this
information when displaying dates and times (such as in directory
listings) and it is also available to application programs that want
to use it.  This has better support in DOS versions 3.0 and later than
in DOS 2.1.
--
Marc Lavine
UUCP:		...{ihnp4|nike|hplabs|sun|glacier}!oliveb!3comvax!marcl

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 14