case sensitive filenames

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Tue Nov 4 06:12:11 AEST 1986

From: seismo!utai!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 86 05:28:02 EST

In article <6107 at ut-sally.UUCP> mckenney at sri-unix.arpa (Paul E. McKenney) writes:
[that what he said above leaves unaddressed]
> o	Whether the eighth bit on characters within a filename should be
> 	significant.  The developers of BSD 4.[23] must have had some good
> 	reason for making it insignificant, but the only reason that comes
> 	to mind is that most terminals cannot easily specify the eighth bit
> 	(just like some older terminals cannot easily specify lower
> 	case!).

There are also programs (the shell comes to mind) that use the eighth
bit for their own purposes.  I believe the shell uses it as a quote
indicator.  Although it is not relevant to filenames, I seem to recall
seeing some code along the lines of curses that used the eighth bit to
indicate highlighting.  Also, all the 7-bit characters can be specified
to (say) rm by careful use of quotes or backslashes.  With most
terminals, this is not possible for 8th-bit-set characters, and even if
the terminal and tty driver could handle it, as I implied above the
shell would strip it anyway.  So you *couldn't* do anything with such
files.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 26