The POSIX file system

Moderator, John Quarterman std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Wed Nov 5 03:22:50 AEST 1986

From: garry at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 86 00:45:47 EST

In a recent article jbs at eddie.mit.edu (Jeff Siegal) wrote:
>In article <6206 at ut-sally.UUCP> guy at sub.com (Guy Harris)
>>[...]  I believe the latest descendents of MERT, and VMS, have moved the
>>file system back into the kernel for performance reasons.
>
>Quite far off, actually (at least in the case of VMS).  Current
>versions of VMS have replaced the disk filesystem ACP (which
>previously was a separate process) with the XQP, a separate instance
>of which exists in _each_process_ (the code is shared).  [...]

Sorry to quibble, but the original posting was accurate. There is now
a piece of the kernel which Dec has labelled the "XQP". The code runs
in the context of a user-process, as is indistinguishably true of every
other system service. The stated reason for making the move was increased
performance. That the cluster software was easier to write was probably
a bonus.

garry wiegand   (garry%cadif-oak at cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu)

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 32