A convention for -file

Guest Moderator, John B. Chambers std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 07:23:22 AEST 1986

>From munnari!runx.oz!dave at seismo.UUCP Thu Nov 20 01:38:54 1986
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 86 22:15:59 AEST
From: munnari!runx.oz!dave at seismo.UUCP (Dave Horsfall)

It is writ:
    Side note:  the Instructional WorkBench (IWB), in its Unix(R)
    Fundamentals course, makes specific note that one should avoid
    making files starting with '+' or '-'.  It makes this the specific
    subject of one of its programmed-learning questions.

EVERY Unix manual I've seen has said something like "It is unwise
to use file names starting with '-'".  And I've used Unix since
good ol' Edition 5 ...  Don't people read manuals anymore?

Dave Horsfall
Sun Computer Australia

Volume-Number: Volume 8, Number 59