1003.2 Command Groups

std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Fri Jan 30 03:09:16 AEST 1987

From: guy%gorodish at Sun.COM (Guy Harris)
Date: 29 Jan 87 07:05:00 GMT

>I rarely use cpio to create tapes, but I often use cpio... Principally
>for transmitting via uucp et. al. multiple files (a cpio file is more
>manageable), and for moving and copying files in directory hierarchies.

Yes, but "tar" can be used to do the same things, and is available on
more systems.  Since the interchange format (which is *not* a tape
format, BTW, but an "Archive/Interchange File Format", so you can use
it to transmit hierarchies with UUCP, "rcp", etc.) is an extended
form of "tar"s, "tar" might be the more useful program to
standardize.

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 34