1003.2 Command Groups

std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP std-unix at ut-sally.UUCP
Sat Jan 10 15:19:28 AEST 1987

From: gwyn at brl.arpa (Douglas A. Gwyn)
Date:     Thu, 8 Jan 87 11:42:08 EST

>From: pyramid!utzoo!henry (Henry Spencer)

I generally agree with Henry's comments.

At the last 1003 meeting, I distributed a command set
proposal along these lines (it covers just what seems to
be current referred to as the Execution command set,
since I think it is a major mistake for 1003.2 to try to
standardize the language, network, or interactive
interface environments).  Unfortunately the 1003 meeting
was concurrent with X3J11 so I didn't get to hang around
for much of the 1003 discussion.  I urge that 1003.2 take
my proposal as guidelines for trimming down the Execution
command set from the SVID descriptions.  Legislating
unnecessary implementation constraints and some of the
more dubiously designed UNIX software might make AT&T
marketing happy, but it should make UNIX grokkers unhappy.

Volume-Number: Volume 9, Number 13