7300 to 3B2 communication

Peter J. Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Mon Apr 11 03:07:01 AEST 1988

In article <3738 at killer.UUCP> bobc at killer.UUCP (Bob Calbridge) writes:
==
== Looking for help or a finger in the direction of some reference material.
== I've been reading lately in an attempt to solve this problem but certain
== questions and my fear of my own naiveity (sp?) prompt me present this to
== those who may have more experience.
==
== The Problem.   We have a rank of 7300's that are being used as terminals
== to a 3B2.  We want to do some direct file dumping from the 7300 to the
== 3B2.  However we want to do this from the floppy drive and we want to
== use MS-DOS disks.  I understand how to mount the disk system and under
== normal file formats how to read a directory file.  My first thought is
== that you could use system calls to list the directory.  The main
== question is, "Can I access the files using the same functions for the
== regular files?"  I could also use some information on the exact function
== of the executable "/usr/bin/msdos."  Are there any options that can be
== presented to it?  Can I read the directory of that partition by reading
== in sequentially to a structure with the same layout as the MS-DOS
== directory?

We have the same set up, Bob, and do the following.
	move the files from DOS disk to 3b1 HD with "mtools"
	uucp them to the 3B2

mtools is a dandy set of utilities for dealing with MSDOS-formatted
disks in the 3b1's FD drive.  Send me a 3b1-formatted disk in a reusable
mailer with return postage and a return mailing label and I'll send you
a copy of mstools.  (I hate to use the net's resources for mailing files.)

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334