West Coast source for disk upgrade info and diagnostic

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Thu Jul 7 02:50:20 AEST 1988

In article <432 at kosman.UUCP> kevin at kosman.UUCP (that's me) writes:
]Mark Hilliard (mark at gizzmo) has been distributing the upgraded
]diagnostic to support upgraded disks: more than 8 heads and 1024
]cylinders.  I have got the diagnostic and the info on the upgrades,
]and I have agreed to distribute them on the west coast.
]
]The offer is the same, but there's something you should know:
]Mark says most of the disks that folks have been sending in are
]formatted wrong: 8 sectors per track, when the diagnostic needs
]to be formatted for 10.  He has been nice about this, but with

Ohhh..   Gakkkk
I didn't look at the disk I got from Mark -- it's formatted for 8, and
has the diagnostic on it.  I was also probably one of the ones who sent
the wrong format disk.  My face is red!!!

Anyway, I still can't be reformatting disks and everything else for $2.00,
so the offer is as before in that the disks have to be formatted
correctly.  That's 8 per track, not 10.  I am embarrassed, but I have
to stick to it.

]lots of people responding in this way, he's not happy.  The way
]it works out, he said he should have asked for $5.00.
]
]I like to be nice, too, but after hearing what Mark had to say,
]here's my form of the offer: send $2.00 for postage and handling,
]and a CORRECTLY FORMATTED disk, and a RE-USABLE mailer, and I will
]put the diagnostic on it and send it back.  Fail in any of these,
]and you will get a nice note asking to to try again, or else send
]$3.00 and I will make up what's missing.  Or you can send $5.00
]with your address and I will supply it all.  With the $5.00 you
]will get the upgrade info, too.  This is 9 pages (5 sheets) of
]double sided xerox stuff (terrible copies, I'm afraid) with
]installation instructions, diagrams and PAL equations.
]
]I am also working on getting a supply of the PALs that we need for
]the more-heads upgrade.  Not too much luck yet.
]
]---
]Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin at kosman ) voice: 805-984-8042
]  Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035