On flames and sources

Mike Levin mml at magnus.UUCP
Tue Jul 12 14:42:14 AEST 1988

In article <417 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:

>|>sources group would be useful.  If Lenny's willing to do that, great.
>|>Lenny: can you handle keeping all the stuff online and available for
>|>anonymous uucp?
>|>
>If I would take the responsibily of being the unix-pc.sources moderator,
>I would have a little learning to do.  Yes, I would allow anon-uucp
>pickups, and keep the sources online.  There isn't a *big* volume of
>that either, so storage wouldn't be too much of a problem.   I haven't
>gotten that many replies... most of them are split 1/2 and 1/2 about
>making unix-pc.sources moderated.

I feel somewhat responsible for starting this whole ruckus, with an article
I posted urging folks to not *cross-post*, and suggesting that a moderated
sources group would be a good idea.  I would just like to say that there has
been a *bit* of software posted which was incomplete, not ported to the 3B1,
etc.  I say if Lenny is *WILLING* to moderate this group, I'm all for it.  I
think that's a good way to ensure some continuity.  For those folks who wish
to post little scripts, etc., we could *also* have an un-moderated group.
For example:

		unix-pc.sources (moderated)	Fully supported sources
		unix-pc.uucp (un-moderated)	Uucp related things ONLY.
		unix-pc.test (un-moderated)	For testing new sites, etc.
		unix-pc.general (un-moderated)	Discussions, questions, etc.
		unix-pc.software (un-moderated) Scripts, bug-reports, programs.
		unix-pc.hardware (un-moderated) Hardware (drives, tapes, etc.)

I think that by thus adding only *2* groups, we get things much better
organized.  And, once again, I strongly urge *NO CROSSPOSTING* within these
groups.  Anybody who reads one, reads the others (if they're interested), so
it's bothersome and useless.

Lenny, you have my vote.

					Mike Levin

--
+---+  P L E A S E    R E S P O N D   T O: +---+  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *