UNIXPC uucp problem

C. Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.UUCP
Thu Jul 7 00:19:48 AEST 1988

In article <1988Jul4.173733.7088 at ziebmef.uucp>, cks at ziebmef.uucp (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

>  Actually, all uucp dialins have to share the same UID as 'uucp'. If
> they don't, connections fail with a very obscure error message (I
> believe 'BAD LOGIN/MACHINE NAME' again) -- I got bitten by this when I
> first set up the uucp logins on ziebmef.
>
>  In hindsight, this makes sense; it means that people can't just
> invoke uucico from their own accounts and pretend to be some random
> machine. Instead you somehow have to set your uid to the 'uucp' UID.
> Could have been worse, I suppose; they could have hardcoded the uucp
> UID into uucico instead of looking it up in /etc/passwd.

This is certainly not true here.  I have fifteen or so accounts set up
for uucico login - all with different UIDs.  However, they each share the
uucp (ie. mail) group ID.  Since uucico doesn't run setgid, this doesn't
seem to matter one way or the other.

Possibly someone with source could take a look and see just what sequence
of events occur when a uucico session starts up.  I would be interested in
being enlightened further.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff