UNIXPC uucp problem

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 04:47:51 AEST 1988

In article <382 at manta.UUCP> brant at manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <103 at cjsa.UUCP> jeff at cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
>>In article <1988Jun27.202651.9458 at ziebmef.uucp>, becker at ziebmef.uucp writes:
>>> I've been having a problem with my 7300/3b1, in that it won't
>>> receive uucp logins from anyone at all (BAD LOGIN/MACHINE NAME), but I
>>I had this very problem when I first set up USENET software.  I believe
>>the problem has to do with the way uucp, nuucp, etc. entries appear and
>>are parsed in the passwd file.
>My suggestion would be to check the /etc/inittab file for an entry
>that attaches a getty (or uugetty) to the modem port.  You must have a
>line of the form:

The fact that he's getting a bad login/machine name in his log files are
proof that he has a getty of some kind running on the port.  I'd say
that /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions is the problem.  Try temporarily setting
it to the lowest possible level of security and see what happens.

This ought work:

MACHINE=OTHER REQUEST=yes READ=/ WRITE=/ SENDFILES=yes COMMANDS=rmail:rnews:uux

Later, if you find that the Permissions file  (I think this was the users file
in pre-HoneyDanber uucp) was to blame you can start getting fancy with it
by creating seperate entries for each machine you talk to.

--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs