+IN

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.WA.COM
Mon Nov 7 05:13:22 AEST 1988

In article <411 at whizz.UUCP>, bbh at whizz.UUCP (Bud Hovell) writes:
> I have several installable programs taken from the STORE, each of which
> specifies '/usr/lbin' as the residence for the program. I want all such
> executables to live in '/usr/local/bin', but have not yet been able to
> sed the changes and get the resulting +IN file to execute the installation.

A +IN or UNIX-PC Installable file is simply a cpio archive created from a
number of other files.  If you want to look at the contents and/or work
on the +IN file, do the following:

1:  Make a dummy directory (eg:  mkdir /tmp/X) and move the +IN file into
    the newly created directory.

2:  Unpack the archive with the command:   cpio -icBvdua  < *+IN

3:  You will get the five files: " Size", "Name", "Files", "Install" & "Remove"
    along with all of the other files that make up the distribution.

4:  "Install" is a shell script with commands for performing the installation.
    In here, you will find the instructions for installing the programs in
    /usr/lbin.  Edit Install to force installation in /usr/local/bin.  You
    can make any other changes you feel are appropriate.

5:  Now, you must also edit "Remove" which is the shell script which
    un-installs the application.  Make corresponding changes so that
    Install and Remove work properly together.

    > I get a message stating that the program is not installable and suggesting
    > I get another copy.

    Remember, if you make an editing error and create a script which doesn't
    work, then you won't be able to run the Install/Remove Software options
    which is what has apparently happened here.  Don't get another copy, just
    look at what you have done and fix it.

6:  When all editing changes have been made, pack everything back up.  If the
    application came from THE STORE!, there is usually a little program to
    do this called makeCPIO or something like that.  You can do this yourself
    by removing the original +IN file and then executing the command:

	cat ./Files | cpio -ocBv > filename+IN

    where filename is the original name of the cpio archive.

7:  Now, move the +IN file to the ~uucp directory and you are ready to run
    the Install Software sent by Electronic Mail option from the Office.

8:  There is a good discussion of the Install Procedures in the "Interface
    Specification" book which comes with the Development Set Manuals.

--
Jeffery Small    (206) 485-5596            uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp
C. Jeffery Small and Associates                                    !cjsa!jeff