Gcc 1.26 available for anonymous Internet FTP

Alex S. Crain alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Sun Nov 27 09:19:30 AEST 1988

In article <11760 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>WHAT problems exists with the optimizer in GCC 1.30?  I just acquired most of
>the GNU distribution from osu-cis, brought up GNU EMACS 18.52 without a hitch,
>and was about to start on gcc, gas, etc.

	I've heard of gcc's optimiser bugs from various sources, but I've
never actually *seen* any. gcc does exibit some behavour that is different
from both the berkeley and SGS compilers, and will bring out various bugs
in code that are not present under othe rcompilers, bucause of code
restructuring, etc. gcc is particlarly obnoxious with regard to setjmp() /
longjmp(), because of the way variables are placed in registers (which
are *not* saved/restored by setjmp()/longjmp().

	One mans bug is another mans feature, so make of it what you will.

--
					:alex.
					Systems Programmer
alex at umbc3.umd.edu