(Long) Why can't I get PCOMM to work with my Trailblazer?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri Sep 16 09:23:12 AEST 1988

In article <559 at rbdc.UUCP> andy at rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) writes:
>In article <454 at kosman.UUCP> kevin at kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) writes:
>
>>MODEM_1a=DIRECT;;;;
>>MODEM_1b=Y;;;;;;
>>MODEM_1c=;;;
>>MODEM_2a=TELEBIT-SLOW;%AAAAAATS66=0S51=255S52=2S50=0S95=0!;%AAAAAATS64=1S92=0S7
>                                                                         ^^^^^
>Note: S92 has no meaning when dialing out.  It only affects how the Telebit
>answers.

All the rest of what Andy wrote made good sense, and some of it made me blush.
Here, however, he falls prey to the RTFM trap: he believed what he read.
In a long debugging session with Telebit, we found that in certain config-
urations, S92 causes the firmware to go south on outgoing calls.  The safe
thing to do is to set S92=0 on all outgoing calls.  The symptoms vary
somewhat, but I remember getting NO CARRIER if the responding modem did not
pick up immediately.  I forget now what other settings caused this bug
to surface.  Anyway, I now ALWAYS set S92=0 on outgoing calls, and have
S52=2 to reset things when the call is done.