faster, Faster, FASTER

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Sat Sep 17 09:39:30 AEST 1988

In article <1185 at umbc3.UMD.EDU> alex at umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

|>	Has anyone played with the clock speed on the 3b1? The hardware seems
|>to be of excellent quality, and it seems like 12Mc shouldn't be unreasonable.
|>I think that the modem is on its own clock, and the power supply should be
|>able to handle the extra load on a machine without expansion cards.
|>I have an AC fan, so heat shouldn't be a problem...

I'm not an electronic's guru, but the UNIX PC's have a MC68010L10 CPU chip
in them.  This information is from the Motorola Semiconductor book on
the 68010/68012 CPU's.   The MC stands of course of "Motorola Corporation",
the 68010 is the CPU type, the L stands for the package type of
"dual-in-line ceramic", and lastly the 10 stands for the clock-speed
(ie. 10Mhz).  I believe the system would require you to change the CPU,
as well as the appropriate crystal, to the MC68010L12 which runs
at a frequency of 12.5Mhz.     "Dual-in-line" is the 64-pin rectangular
chip, as opposed to the 68-pin square Quad-Pack chip.

I wonder if this is feasible?  Comments from any hardware gurus?  :-)

-Lenny
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \
           PO Box 1                |                boulder \
           Islip Terrace, NY 11752 |                talcott  !icus!lenny
Vocal-net: (516) 582-5525 [work]   |                pacbell /
           (516) 968-8576 [home]   |                hombre /
Telex-net: 154232428 ICUS          | Another-net:   attmail!icus!lenny