Is there a back door?

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 11:23:02 AEST 1989

In article <102 at gnosys.UUCP> gst at gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>The one thing I did in addition to what's indicated here is that I made
>myself a copy of the floppy filesystem disk from the foundation set, so
>that I have someplace to write a small temp file if I need to. (The Fdn.
>Set floppy doesn't even have a notch, so it's impossible to write to it,
>not that I'd want to anyway.)

Strange as it sounds, you CAN create temp files on the write-protected
floppy filesystem disk!  They go away when you type sync!  It's Really
bizarre, but the install scripts rely on that ability, so it must have
been intentional.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com