Domain-style address on 7300

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Fri Jun 9 05:11:30 AEST 1989

In article <41062 at bbn.COM> clements at bbn.com (Bob Clements) writes:

>I've just gone through the process of getting my Unix-pc site
>properly registered with a real domain name and getting an
>internet neighbor to be a mail exchanger.
>("k1bc" --> "k1bc.lex.ma.us")
>It's still connected just via uucp, of course.
[...]

I posted because I haven't seen this in this group lately, and there may be
others interested. The program is called "smail". Its in the archives. I will
allow you to do user at machine.blah.blah type addressing. You can use a simple
/usr/lib/uucp/paths file with just
host	host!%s	0
smart-host	host!%s	0

and rely on you host to do REAL @ to ! conversion for you. It works by splicing
itself between the user interface to mail and the real /bin/mail.

I did not suggest sendmail, because I don't have a working version of it yet.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!