Submission for Unix-PC

gatelist at zorch.UU.NET gatelist at zorch.UU.NET
Thu Mar 16 17:33:22 AEST 1989

In article <???@koamn.UUCP> kevin at kosman.UUPC (Kevin O'Gorman) writes
>In article <932 at mtfmi.att.com> tjc at mtfmi.att.com (T.CZARNECKI) writes:
>>
>>	The printer is a OKIDATA Microline 182,  the printer setup
>>on the UNIX-PC only has an option for a OKIDATA92.  If I select
>>that option, I can't do screen prints... I've tried other selections
>
>Yep, AT&T did it to you again.  They did it to me, too.  Screen printing
>works only with AT&T printers, maybe on full compatibles.  This is not too
>surprising because it is built into the kernel and they didn't want to
>clutter that with lots of odd options for different bit-addressing styles
>that different printers have.
>
>I solved this long ago, though I'm not sure I still have the code around.

I have an epson FX-86 which is NOT mentioned anywhere in the documentation
or system.  But screen print has always worked.  I am lucky because
FX-86 is fairly close to the FX-80 which is supported (and the escape
codes on the 86 match the 80 when it comes to printing graphics).

Try creating a /usr/lib/nterm/ file for your printer, and then creating
custom drivers for LP for it.  Use the closest printer for a template.

I have a slightly different /usr/lib/nterm/tab.fx86 (from
/usr/lib/nterm/tab.fx) which supports italics and sub/super scripting.

This is not an AT&T limitation.

steve		uunet!wiley!spp2!baur