Where THE STORE! went....what packages are available

Bill Carpenter wjc at ho5cad.ATT.COM
Wed Feb 7 06:09:23 AEST 1990

In article <296 at mtune.ATT.COM> jrw at mtune.ATT.COM (Jim Webb) writes:

jrw> had the time, but I don't :-( If "someone" out there has a box
jrw> with the above number [20,000] of blocks free, I will be glad to
jrw> help them set up a new store....  Or maybe, there is nothing of

Heck, I might as well suggest some work for someone else!

Since THE STORE! is really comprised of a collection of shell scripts
that queue up uucp jobs to fetch the packages you "order", there isn't
much needed to run your own version of THE STORE!  You need:

	1.  Disk space to store it all.
	2.  Allow anonymous uucp.

Lo and behold, a place with plenty of these *and* a UNIXpc archive
("att7300") *and* which allows anonymous FTP is Ohio State University
("osu-cis").  (Bonus: *and* is more centrally-located in the US than
Freehold and Middletown, New Jersey :-) I don't know how either the
osu-cis administrators or the "att7300" organizer feel about this, but
it seems like a natural match to me.

All you would need to do is stash the installables in some directory
on osu-cis and then modify a copy of CATALOG+IN to know the osu-cis
particulars.  From there, things would work as before.  Omagosh, with
a new quasi-official THE STORE! one even imagines the possibility of
new additions (to help out UUCPhobics who have UNIXpcs).
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill