Unix-PC crashing during uucico

Bruce Becker bdb at becker.UUCP
Tue Jan 16 17:45:24 AEST 1990

In article <1871 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

|We get random crashes on our 3b1, neoucom, which serves as our
|gateway to the uucp domain.  Running the stock version 2, we had
|more crashes than we get with the HDB system.  The bugs seem to
|happen if you have more than one uucp running at a time, such as
|ph1 and tty000 together.  The port driver seems to get confused
|while handling the 7201 interrupts and leaves a boluxed address in
|one of the 68010 registers.  Supposedly this problem was fixed in
|3.51d (which it would appear is only available inside of AT&T at
|this moment).  With HDB, you can set Maxuuxqts to 1, which it
|seems, should prevent multiple uucicos from running.

	I run HDB with multiple uuxqt's, multiple
	uucico's, & all sorts of other stuff at
	the same time - it *never* crashes. I
	tend to reboot every couple of months
	just to dust off the memory chips, but
	it's just being cautious.

	On the other hand, I don't use the OBM,
	because it's a pretty flaky device.

	If you aren't using the internal modem, then
	you've probably got some hardware problem.
	My system used to act up once in a while,
	but it was just a case of reseating some
	chips & cables inside - things have worked
	just fine ever since...

--
  ,,,,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \$$/	 Internet: bdb at becker.UUCP, bruce at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
 `/c/-e	 BitNet:   BECKER at HUMBER.BITNET
_/  >_	 "Money is the root of all money" - Adam