Wierd HDB/Permissions problems (again)

David T. Sandberg dts at quad.uucp
Sat Aug 26 11:25:08 AEST 1989

In article <1399 at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> rich at jolnet.orpk.il.us (Rich Andrews) writes:
:In article <2352 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
:>"\!" is how you type a "!" when you're using /bin/ksh.  The "!"
:>alone is a command for the shell, so you have to escape it.
:
:Gee, what command is that?  I use ksh all the time on several machines
:and never had to escape "!".

Maybe he's thinking of csh, where "!" is a very important
metacharacter, of course.  Ksh (and sh, for that matter) do
have the "$!", which is the PID of the last background job,
but to my knowledge that's the only place that "!" has any
special meaning to ksh.

--
                                  David Sandberg - Quadric Systems
 "As of Friday, August 25, 1989,  PSEUDO: dts at quad.uucp
       Triton is a Place."        ACTUAL: ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts